Translate

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Running the Good Race

Week Sixteen
Running the Good Race

In Hebrews chapter eleven we read about faith. Those who believed without seeing the promises. From Abel to Abraham, from Moses to Samuel, these faithful people believed that God would do what he said he would do. They didn’t have to see the end result to believe it would happen.  

Some of these faithful believers “faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated-the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect. Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 11:36-12:2

Can you imagine a faith that would believe God without seeing the end result? We have the testimony of so many people who actually walked with Jesus, his disciples and followers recorded actual events shortly after they took place. But those who went before Christ, those faithful men and women only heard of the promise of Christ. What faith they had. 
Hebrews 11:1-2 tells us what true faith is. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.”

A sure hope is what we have about eternity. We cannot fathom eternal life and yet that is our hope as believers in Christ Jesus. We are certain that eternal life is ours. Not because we earn it, not because we deserve it, but because Jesus paid our debt and gives it to us. Are we so different from the believers in the faith chapter? I don’t think we are. 

We are all running a race, we have before us the promise of life eternal and we know that it is at the end of the race. There is no mistaking the fact that if we are faithful to Christ, he will be waiting for us when we cross the finish line. He will lead us to our eternal home with him. The Bible is very clear on this point. 

But the hard part is remaining faithful, not losing heart, not giving up. There are going to be hard times. If the ancients suffered for their faith, why would we do any less? Romans 5:3-4 says ...we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

How in the world can we rejoice in our sufferings? That seems impossible to do. Just this week I was reminded again of the training that I have been through in my life. Each time I had to endure suffering it grew my faith more and more. Think about your own faith walk. Remember a time when you suffered a loss, a disappointment, a heartbreak. What was the end result?

A perfect example in my life was when my baby daughter, Stephanie, was stillborn. I had carried her for nearly nine months. There was no problem with my pregnancy and yet, when it was time to deliver her, the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and as a result, she was born dead. 

Not an easy thing for a mother to endure, I assure you. It wasn’t until months later that I realized her death had caused me to take a good hard look at death and my belief in eternal life. At age 22 I was immortal, or so I thought. When we are young we don’t like to think about dying. It seems so far off. I had a belief in Christ Jesus, but I had never really thought much about the gift of eternal life. 

All of a sudden I realized that my baby girl was in heaven, she had to be. She had never done anything to deserve otherwise. But how was I going to get there? How could I guarantee that I would see her again? I believed in eternal life, but never really thought about it for myself. Quite a dilemma for a young woman. 

My faith began to grow as I asked questions and searched for answers. God said we would find him if we searched for him. My search began through my suffering. I can look back and rejoice now. Because I have every confidence that I will one day see Stephanie again. She will know me and I will know her. We will be together throughout eternity. 

This perseverance is a process. It doesn’t happen overnight. It takes years of suffering through trials, trusting God to help you through and knowing when you come through that it was the Lord who brought you through once again. Your faith is strengthened each time you suffer and persevere. 
Eventually you realize that the trials that come your way are only going to grow your faith and you believe immediately that God is going to deliver you. 

Paul had that kind of faith. That is why he could write about perseverance producing character and hope. I want that sort of character developed in me, but we can’t get character without adversity. They go hand in hand. The more our character is developed, the more integrity we have. Integrity is a Godly quality that is developed as we walk with God daily. The world around us cannot make us falter when we have Godly integrity as part of our character.

Heavenly Father,
You are so good and so patient with us. We give you praise for you are worthy of praise. Thank you for the suffering that we have had to endure. We know that you are the one who has helped us come out on the other side of the suffering with our faith stronger and deeper. Each time we walk through the valleys, you are there on the other side waiting with outstretched arms. Someday we will walk through the final valley and you will be there, expecting us. Ready to take us home. Thank you for your loving arms. In Jesus name we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment