Translate

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Faithfulness of God


If I could become a Women of Faith speaker what would I talk about?

The Faithfulness of God

As Women of Faith we can all relate to many of the same trials and difficulties we have encountered as we make this faith journey. I'm sure that as I share my story, many of you will be nodding in understanding and others may receive encouragement from my testimony, because you are going through similar problems today.

Although I was raised in a Christian home with a loving family where good moral values were taught, it didn't make me immune to the ways of the world. I heard it said once that God doesn't have any grandchildren. All those who come into His family, must come of their own freewill as His adopted children. The faith of our parents can lead us to Him, but ultimately it will be our own faith that secures our place in heaven.

I remember getting my first Bible as a child and reading passages about the crucifixion. As a little girl I was so upset that Jesus was put on that cross, but I didn't fully understand why He had to die until I had to face several deaths in my own family.

I loved my Grandma Fisher, she had many other grandchildren, but she always had time to spend with each of us, one on one and I knew that her love for me was unconditional. She didn't have to love me, but she did. I was 14 when she died and it shook my world. 

Later at age 21, I had to face the death of my stillborn daughter, Stephanie. I had carried her full-term and just seen my doctor two days before she died. Everything was going fine, until she started down the birth canal and was choked to death by the umbilical cord. Back in 1972, hospitals did not have the technology that they have today and no one could foresee this happening.

After her death, I began seriously looking at heaven. I knew that was where she went to but I wasn't so sure that I was going there. I knew in my heart that she was greeted there by my Grandma Fisher and I also knew that one day, I wanted to meet both of them in heaven. How could I be sure that day would come?

God says in Deuteronomy 4:29 (New International Version) 29 But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. 

I began my search for God in 1972, that search has led to a peace within my spirit and an assurance that I have eternal life through Jesus Christ, my Lord.

I'd like to say that I have been walking side-by-side with Jesus since that time, but life is a journey and many times I've strayed off the path. God is faithful and He knows our hearts and our heartaches, He knows our struggles with sin and He's always been there for me to lead me back to His loving arms. 

Through my belief in Jesus Christ as my risen savior, I know that whatever trials, whatever obstacles to grace I may encounter in this life, I can depend on God to walk with me and give me the strength I need to bring me into His kingdom.

One day, I'll leave this earth behind and when that day comes, I know that I will be greeted in heaven by a beautiful young lady, my favorite grandma and many others. Thank you, Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. The greatest gift in loss is knowing that the ones we love have gone to be with our Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing your gift of life through loss.

    ReplyDelete