Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 18, 2017

It's time for Christians to pant for the living God

What is happening in the world today? It seems that every time we watch the news there is another terrorist attack or a hate group trying to convince everyone that it's their way or the highway. Is the entire world doomed? And, as Christians, what are we supposed to do with each new crisis? How can we possibly show the world the love of Christ when it refuses to listen to us. We are ambassadors here on this earth for such a time as this - God didn't make a mistake when He created each one of us and placed us here at this particular time in history.

I've been reading the Bible through again this year and have just finished reading some of the major prophets words. Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel all faced similar situations, just like us. They were called to warn the Jewish people that God was about to unleash His anger toward them because they had turned their backs on Him and His commandments. Are the times we're living in so different? I don't think so. Maybe we don't bow down to idols in the same sense that the Jewish people did, but we have idols that we worship instead of the the living God. We bow down to political parties, we bow down to athletes and entertainers, we bow down to our children and pets, we bow down to our homes, our cars, our jobs, our employers, we bow down to physical fitness and endless pleasure. And we have made ourselves into gods by posting endless selfies - wanting others to see us as we see ourselves. Perfect specimens of human beings. But do we seek God every day? Do we, as Christians, pant for God?


"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?' These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God."  Psalm 42:1-5

I think this is the answer to the world's problems. How many people who profess to be Christians are regularly attending a church? As I read this Psalm, it breaks my heart to think of all the people I know who have abandoned their faith because they are worshiping idols. They may not admit it openly, but they give their time and attention to other things besides the living God. Church attendance is at the bottom of their to-do lists and not the top. If Christians spent even a small part of their time in praise and worship of God, if they opened their Bibles each day to seek Him and His direction for their lives, the rest of the world would take notice. But as it is, Christians just blend into the world, we don't shine like beacons and the world is hurting as a result.

The only hope of the world is Jesus, are we, His followers, being Jesus to the people that are in our pathways? As we seek God and obey His directions, we will see the world change for the better. He will hear our prayers and respond to them. We have this promise from Him: "Because he loves me, says the Lord, I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him, with long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." Psalm 91:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment