Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 19, 2012

Jesus offers eternal life


We hear a lot of talk about different "avenues" to reach God, but the Bible teaches that there is just one way to be saved - that way is Jesus. If you accept Jesus Christ and His sacrifice on the cross for your sins, you will be saved. Jesus' blood was shed for everyone in world, but not everyone in the world believes they need a savior; not everyone in the world is willing to repent of their sins and become a follower of Christ. Not everyone in the world will accept God's gift of salvation.

Jesus described himself as the gate, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to  steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:7-10

To become a follower of Christ, we must first acknowledge the fact that we are sinners. The Apostle Paul said that we have all sinned and fallen short. He said that the wages of sin is death. He was saying that since we are born sinners, we are doomed to destruction - we can't earn our way out of separation from God by trying to be good people. As hard as we try to "be nice", it's just impossible to "be nice enough" to enter God's presence. 

When we realize that we are powerless to save ourselves, we are finally on our way to accepting Christ as our King.

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep." John 10:11-13

One of the most amazing things about God is His love for us. He created us, He wants a relationship with us and since He is a righteous, holy God, He can't have that relationship until we are made right in His eyes. Rather than give up on us, God provided a way for us to come into His presence. He sent His only Son, Jesus, to become one of us and Jesus willingly shed His blood for us so that we could have a relationship with God, the Father.

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just at the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life – only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father." John 10:14-18

No other religion in the world follows a leader who willingly died for their sins; no other religion in the world has a leader who was resurrected from the dead; no other religion in the world offers believers eternal life with God the Father. 

Jesus told his disciples, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."
Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered, "I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:1-6

Not only do followers of Christ have a shepherd who died for our sins, but we have the promise from Him that one day He will come back to take us to the place He is preparing for us. Even as I write this, Jesus is preparing for me to join Him for eternity.

It sounds impossible, it seems incredible, but the God who created the universe and everything in it is still creating. There is no end to what He is doing and He wants us to be with Him throughout eternity. God wants to show us His glory. 

The earth is just the beginning for us – it's a stepping stone into eternity and Jesus is offering the people of the world His hand to help us into eternal life. Accept the gift God is offering – repent of your sins, give your heart to Jesus and let His Spirit lead you heavenward.

No comments:

Post a Comment