Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, November 26, 2010

God’s Throne Room


Week 47

Where does the God of the universe dwell? We know that he wants to dwell with mankind. He had Moses build a tabernacle for his presence to be close to the Israelites when they wandered in the wilderness for 40 years. He instructed King Solomon, the son of King David to build him a temple. Isaiah saw him in a vision, “In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted and the train of his robe filled the temple,” Isaiah 6:1. 

In Isaiah 66:1 we hear God say, “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?”
If we fast forward to the book of Hebrews we get a better idea of God’s throne room. The author explains about Jesus’ priesthood. He shares with us the way Jesus entered the actual Holy of Holies, not an earthly imitation, but the very throne of God in heaven. He took his sinless blood into the Holy of Holies and sprinkled the blood on the mercy seat of God to make atonement for the sins of the world. It is this very throne that we now have access to through the blood of Jesus.

Each time we go to God in prayer, we have to apply the blood of Jesus. It is the covering that makes us righteous in God’s eyes. We have done nothing and can do nothing to protect ourselves as we approach God. In our own power and by ourselves we would be consumed completely before we got in the door. We are sinful people, but God is a God of mercy and grace. 

Jesus is a savior who died for our sins, he knew that was the only way for us to enter God’s presence and he took care of it for us. The Hebrew people had the priest who could approach God only on the day of atonement. He was the only one who could act as a go-between between the people and God and the sacrifice he offered had to be offered again and again, year after year. It was a never ending process. Until Jesus showed up on earth.

When Jesus took his own blood into the throne room of God, that took care of the sin problem once and for all. As far as God was concerned, anyone who comes to him in Jesus’ name, is as pure as Christ himself. Why can’t we get that through our thick skulls? Why do we think that we still have to offer sacrifices? The price has been paid, we are righteous in God’s sight if we have applied the blood of Jesus to our lives and sprinkled it on the door posts of our hearts.

Another thing happened when Jesus entered that throne room. He took his seat next to God, his father. And the word of God tells us this. “...Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.” Hebrews 7:24b-25. 

What is he doing for us right this very minute? He lives to intercede for us. He is sitting beside his father, speaking on our behalf.

So how do we get into the throne room? What do we have to do to get an audience with the king of the universe? We have to pray. Jesus is sitting beside God waiting for his loyal subjects to bring him petitions. He is wanting to answer our prayers, but we have to bring them to him first. 

Many times when I have burdens that seem unbearable, I envision meeting Jesus at the door of the throne room. He takes me by the hand and walks with me across the enormous room where God is seated on his large towering throne. It is intimidating, but when you picture Jesus holding your hand, it makes it so much easier. 

Let me give you a visual example. I am a visual learner and this is the way I can best explain my prayer life. One week God put a burden on my heart for abused children in the counties where I live and work. I know that there are many children who are suffering from physical abuse and neglect and from sexual abuse. The need for protection is great and there are not enough foster homes to place these children and remove them from danger. What can we do as Christians?

Well, I went before the throne of God, with Jesus standing beside me, and I asked God to supernaturally protect these little ones. I told him that I knew many of these children had no one to pray for them and I wanted to be the one to stand in the gap for them. I told him that I wanted to be their grandma. I asked for him to cover them with the blood of Jesus and to sanctify them. 

As I was praying, I realized that little children were all around me. They were looking up at me, expecting me to protect them. Now there is no way that I can do that physically, but the God of the universe is able to do amazing things in the supernatural world and I have asked him to keep them safe.

Sound weird? Well maybe it does, but I believe that God is a God who is able to save, protect, heal and that he is our vindicator. The vision doesn’t stop there. Those little ones remained in my heart, when I awoke the next morning, I envisioned them under the covers with me. I was protecting them all night as I slept and as they slept. Do I have any proof? No, but I had such a peace about the situation that I don’t need proof.

The vision still continues, when I got to work that day, there they were under my desk. I was still seeking God’s protection for them and was continuing to stand in the gap. All those little ones stayed with me for quite awhile.

Who has God put in your heart to pray for? Take the burden to Jesus. There is a an old hymn that speaks about this concept. Listen to the words:
1) I must tell Jesus all of my trials; I cannot bear these burdens alone; In my distress He kindly will help me; He ever loves and cares for his own. 
Chorus:
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus! I cannot bear these burdens alone; I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus! Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
2) I must tell Jesus all of my troubles; He is a kind, compassionate friend; If I but ask Him, He will deliver, Make of my troubles quickly and end.
3) Tempted and tried I need a great Savior, one who can help my burdens to bear; I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus; He all my cares and sorrows will share.
4) O how the world to evil allures me! O how my heart is tempted to sin! I must tell Jesus, and he will help me over the world the victory to win.
(I Must Tell Jesus - by E. A.Hoffman - Hope Publishing Co.)

There is a scripture in 1 Samuel that seems to explain why we approach the throne of God. When the people of God asked Samuel to pray and ask God for a king to rule over them they were told that God was going to give them what they asked for even though it was not according to his will for them. He wanted to be their king.

“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. “You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own. As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. Yet if you persist in doing evil, both you and your king will be swept away.” 1 Samuel 12:20-25

Samuel had to pray for them, we have a responsibility to pray for others. Let’s not fail to do so.

1 comment:

  1. WoW,I never read anything like this,I'm moved and challenged to stand in the gap. May God indeed protect "your grand children"

    ReplyDelete