Translate

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm a Leaping Lamb

Do you tend to be more of a leaping lamb or a fainting goat?

I have been reading a lot of historical novels lately and it amazes me how delicate and protected the women in the early 1800s were. I imagine some of the fainting spells were caused by the corsets that they wore, but the women, especially those who were from wealthier families, seldom got a glimpse of what was really happening in the world. They were sheltered and kept in their own little world. When they were faced with reality, their first reaction often was to faint. A temporary form of escaping from the real world.

What a difference 200 years have made in the lives of women. I am definitely a leaping lamb and Christ, my good shepherd, is the one who protects me from the trauma and turmoil of the 21st Century. When I experience a shock, my first reaction is to leap into the arms of my protector. I know that in the arms of Jesus, I can find shelter. I still have to deal with the problems, the hurt, the betrayal and the grief, but I don't have to deal with it alone. 

On the last night Jesus spent with his disciples, he knew that they would be facing with his impending death and he wanted to reassure them that he was sending a comforter and that they could expect persecution. In John 16:33, Jesus told his disciples, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

When trials come, when financial set-backs occur, when death takes a loved one, when we are hurt by a friend, Jesus' words still bring peace. Paul was well aware of this and wrote in Romans 8:38-39. "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

If we believe in the promises in scripture, we can be leaping lambs and enjoy this life we are living. Our good shepherd is going to lead us, restore our souls, guide us, comfort us and anoint us but it takes a leap of faith on our part to put our trust in Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment